Monday, April 12, 2010

Things 13 and 14: RSS and the wonderful wide web

Ok, I totally vented my spleen on the last post, so, other than a brief complaint that I have igoogle and don't need "Bloglines," I'll be brief.

I have to remind myself that these are blogs, not treatises.

So, through Bloglines I'm subscribed to the 5030 blog, some California girl's pictures of birds (she's really talented and has a great camera), one I found on Technorati, and some friends blogs. Through igoogle I also have three different local news feeds, and through my email two national news feeds.

Specifically, I found the RSS experience easy, and here's how I found the sites for Bloglines. First, I wanted to follow a picture set on Flikr. I am interested in birds, and so I browsed until I found one with great pictures and a lot of variety. From there it was about two clicks until I was subscribed.

I'm also following a political blog. Because I choose not to discuss too much online, I won't say which, but it was in the top 100 of Technocrati. Again, two clicks and it's funneled directly into my head. I'll do one more learning-based one, or at least science based (my specialty isn't libraries). YES! Weird Things!!! !17 on the science section. It's so... me. But I read it, and it wasn't what I thought. I'm disappointed. The pictures are interesting... but not all in a good way.

So now I'm down to numbers 36-60, and I must say, I'm getting annoyed. Being trained in science, I want more than opinion, but that's what most of these blogs are. I then switched topics, and was horrified at the one-sidedness of some issues I was reading. Ug.

I'm taking the easy way out. I know Discover Magazine has feeds (I found that out on Technocrati) but I don't want blogs - just news feeds. I went to discovermagazine.com and subscribed to the parts that interest me. No opinions, please. But now I'm keeping up to date on the latest in my field.

No comments:

Post a Comment