Monday, April 12, 2010

Thing 11: Technorati

Oy. I have a natural aversion to that which is popular. Perhaps it's the counter-cultural leanings I've developed. So, I'm approaching the Technorati assignment as thus: I will view it as an alien creature trying to figure out what this strange species values.

Top 100:
  • Politics
  • Technology
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Business
So, I can judge (root word of prejudice) that this is a culture obsessed with itself: politics is the self of the government, technology is the self of the tools, celebrity gossip is the self of the culture, and business is the self of the market.

Ok, that wasn't fair. I was actually surprised at how popular some of the political sites are. I know it's a very big issue, but I wasn't expecting a #1 spot. I am really worried though that a higher "authority number" is based on the number following. That's not logic. That's like saying the more people you have following you, the more accurate you are. That officially makes Hitler far more authoritative than Martin Luther King Jr. Might does not make right. Even so, I laugh that TMZ is higher rated than CNN.

I can see why technology is well represented. It's like having a medical convention and finding a large number of people interested in health. It's just so self-serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment