Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thing 19: Summary of Thoughts About Thinking Thoughts.

Warning: I will babble.

Some people think I'm smart. I really don't know what that means. I suppose I caught on quickly as a child, and I really can multi-task (2%!), so while I was goofing off through K-12 years, I was actually learning too. I know stuff, but I don't know what smart means. The real thing I have going for me is stubbornness.

That almost brings me to the topic of my blog. Hold on, we'll get there.

My stubbornness makes me not give up. I must figure something out until I get it. That's why I'm not afraid of learning... I'm afraid of not learning. I'm afraid if I don't learn things the first time, I'll be stuck doing them forever. I'm freakin' Sisyphus, and that's why I'm not afraid of technology.

Sooo, the blog. This is my first blog. I can't say it was pleasant because it was assigned. Don't get me wrong - I don't expect everything to be pleasant. School is about forcing us out of our comfort zones. Ideally, school shouldn't be comfortable. There must be pain for there to be growth.

This blog was growth. And parts of it I liked. The blog has reminded me that I miss writing, but I'm not sure blogs are the best medium for me. I liked most of the things learned, although some parts I probably won't use again. I'm not a big fan of Twitter, if you couldn't tell from the posts.

If I could do anything differently, I would do this at my own speed, but that's not an option with a graded program. I would only blog about the parts I found interesting. I probably would have shared more personal stories... if this wasn't a class assignment. I don't know what else I would do differently. I suppose I wouldn't have wasted the first couple of months resisting so much of the blogging.

For me, this program is all about exposure. Exposure to new ideas, exposure to new technology. I know it's only a taste of what's available. (I wish when I was teaching there were regular exposures to new technologies.) I also know I must keep up or I won't know what's coming.

So, although I have been a bit resistant about these new things, I'm grateful. I can see how to blend these new methods into a classroom, the Internet, and the world.

Thank you for making me learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment