Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thing 17: Podcasts of the World

So, for my podcasts I thought of going to the Library of Congress. After looking around, I realized that it had very little to do with what happens in any school in America. I then went semi-local, and found the the Brigham City library has podcasts, but no feed. I went back to the Education Podcast Network and found an information technology podcast. I figured that the technology updates both satisfy my science background and the Library Science requirements.

So, I found the "Tech Teacher Network" since all librarians must be tech savvy. I chose "Skype in the Classroom" for the podcast. There was a short description of what Skype is, and then the author started talking about how to use Skype in the classroom. The tips were
  • Plan the video conference
  • Have emergency backup plan
  • Test it out a few days ahead of time
  • Pre and Post activities, such as a blog
  • Use the chat feature for tech problems
  • Practice muting
  • Learn ettiquite
  • Try to avoid wireless
  • Document camera is a plus
  • Carpeted rooms great
  • Set security features in Skype
The author then went into a "safeshare" on Youtube description. I was confused because I personally would split different topics into different podcasts.

Free Moodle - Moodle discussion came next. I'm getting dizzy from the quick-change topics. There was a mention of a site called keytoschool.com which is a free Moodle hosting site. This might come in handy.

Ok, so then I ventured over to iTunes. Wow - that feels disorganized. There are so many free topics, and so many podcasts. Crazy. I listened to one interview of an author... not one I'd subscribe to, but a good listen. I subscribed to one or two that fit my personal interests. I would love to see an organization though.

No comments:

Post a Comment