Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thing 5: Walkin' in a Wiki Wonderland

Finally, after five entries, I figured out why I'm redoing these first assignments. The first time I did them, it was for a grade. This time, it's for me. I want to own this.

And no, I'm not blowing sunshine. Really, I'm behind, and could better use the time for new assignments, but sometimes I have to remind myself that grades aren't why I'm doing this. I forget that sometimes.

So anyway, Wikis. Again, because I do html coding, I haven't used wikis much. They're dead-useful though. And when I choose to use them, I can appreciate them.

I've been going Wiki-nuts for the past few days. I figured that because we have the Wiki assignment coming up very soon, I'd get a jump on it, and I'm really glad I did. Here's what I've discovered:
  1. pbworks wikis are really ugly. I kind of hate them. So, the first thing I did was migrate over to wikispaces, where I at least have marginal control over the appearance of the Wiki. My new site is http://dream2live.wikispaces.com/ and it's at least not grotesque.
  2. I'm really a weird perfectionist on these things. I have put in hours, only to tweak the little bits until I like them.
  3. A really good Wiki takes a bit of time.

I still prefer web pages. There is so much more control (see #2). But I can see how many people would find this much more user-friendly and manageable. I'm starting to enjoy wikis more.

No comments:

Post a Comment