Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thing 20: Just for me? It's Ning

Hello everyone! My "ning" is at modernmedia.ning.com

For my final project, I'm creating a "Ning" site. For those not familiar, "ning" is a free social network located at (whoda thunk it) ning.com.

This free site allows people with similar interests and tastes to get together in a virtual environment. The participants can blog, discuss, post, connect, contact and probably a whole lot of other things. This allows a great deal of freedom for the participants and a desired amount of control by the site creator.

So, I'm feeling a little shaky with Ning. I've made a site, and I've invited some people, but need to open my invites. I feel shaky because I think I'm a control freak, and I don't know how to control all of Ning's features. I've figured out how to modify the look and add apps, I've tied it to Twitter and Blogger, and yet...

I still feel I don't know what I'm doing.

I can see a great deal of use for a ning site. First of all, it's free, and that's always a bonus when working with educational technology, and second it allows for a space for a group of people to interact. This could be ideal for students. Because an instructor can set permissions (such as no pictures can be posted without approval), this could become a safe environment for class discussions and sharing.

I'll have to play more with settings and people in the network to figure out just how useful this might be. I look forward to figuring out this puzzle that is Ning.

No comments:

Post a Comment