Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thing 3: Blogging about blogging

Well, since I already have a blog, I wanted to write about two things. First, I want to remind myself about the process of creating a blog, and second, possible applications for me. Unlike most of the class, I am not in a library, and probably won't ever be, but I may be back in the classroom.

How to make a blog
I went to blogger.com and realized it's the same as blogspot.com, a site where most of my friends who have blogs post. From there it is easy. It's easy to sign up for anything these days. Email, password, verification, clicking an "accept the terms" box, and voilĂ , I am a published author capable of spewing truth or lies, fiction or reality from the comfort of my couch. Oy. We really do need to teach children (and adults) how to discern between credible and non-credible sources.
I could type nonsense, such as "The President just gave a wedgie to the Vice President" and someone could potentially be quoting me. Oh, and with that sentence, I could also be getting an FBI file. HI FEDS!!!

I'm already following the class blog.

Potential uses for me and blogs getting chummy
When I taught, I made a big ol' site for my classes. I'd post the daily journal entry, but I'd hard-code it in html. This is just the short-cut version. I could use blogs like that, and people could rss-follow me. Poor, bored souls. I could make students blog, but I have mixed feelings about that, and really do think they should spend as much time learning as they do posting. With the growing narcissism of the upcoming generations, I worry they put too much stock in their own thoughts. Hmmm... I could use the blog how I'm using it here; I could write about what was learned, whether what I learned or what I taught. I suppose this may be a different way of doing what I did with the website, and a way much more fluid and malleable. I'll have to think on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment